Wednesday 22 June 2016

#CurrentlyReading

Scarlett Says by Scarlett Moffatt


It's been a while since I've posted anything reading related and I'm not really sure why. It's not that I haven't been reading although I have probably been reading slower and not as consistently, so that's probably why. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you what book I've just put down and what one I've just picked up. For the first time in a while I've found myself reading two non-fiction books back to back. As I'm getting older I definitely find that I'm enjoying reading non-fiction far more than I used to. I think part of that is finding non-fiction books that you enjoy about things that you're interested in. Not every non-fiction read has to be about learning and educating yourself in can just be a bit of fun. 

Back when it was still raining every day, and no not last week, I mean the end of April, I picked up 'Scarlett Says' by Scarlett Moffatt of Gogglebox fame. Gogglebox is one of my favourite TV shows and as well as being bloody hilarious I think Scarlett regularly makes good points so I decided to check out her book for more witty comments and good humour.

I wasn't dissapointed. The book was a refreshing, light hearted take on life and the world. It was filled with Scarlett's trade mark humour, love for fake tan and big hair. But more than that it was witty, to the point and truthful. It wasn't an auto-biography, all though you do learn a lot more about the lovely young lady who spends an hour every Friday sat forward in her chair watching telly with her mum and dad, it was a good hard look at the world from Scarlett's point of view - a view I think many, particularly younger people, would agree with most of the time.

It's not going to be for everyone. It's very chatty and impersonal, set out in chapters that relate to going on a night on the town with Scarlett. The writing style and the blocky divided style of the subjects would annoy some readers but I found it to be great if I just wanted to read a little bit here and there. If you enjoy watching Scarlett on Gogglebox I'd definitely pick it up, if you don't I'd still recommend it if you want a light non-fiction read that's easy to get through and good fun. 

After putting down 'Scarlett Says' I was ready for some more non-fiction. I was flicking through my Bloglovin page and saw a post from World of Wanderlust about her WOW Book Club. It was something I'd seen on my feed before but hadn't taken much notice of. However, I was looking for something new to read so decided to have a look and what was going on over there. 

For June the book club was going to be reading 'Eat, Pray, Love Made Me Do It'. I hadn't even read 'Eat Pray Love' let alone think about the sequel. So that was it I was finally going to get around to reading the book that seems to be a bit like a bible to anyone who writes a travel blog, loves travelling or wants to travel more. 

NO REGRETS. I'm a third of the way through and loving it. I can see why people recommend this book left, right and centre. If you want to travel but aren't sure, have travelled and have stories or memories or just want a bit of a kick up the bum to do something, you should read this book.

The only downside is it's giving me such wanderlust!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment